HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 07:34:47 +0200
Denys hoped...

>I really hope that someone at HP is listening in on this thread.  This very
>point is, in my view, the key to the continued existance of the HP 3000.  It
>would be really great if the HP 3000 would become a more easily accessible
>platform for C/S applications.  I suggest that a speedier implementation of
>ODBC 32 bits and a friendlier disposition of MPE towards Windows NT would do
>wonders for MPE.

And I agree. I don't know how many of you have SAMBA running on your
HP9000's, but if I could get a port of this freeware product up and
running on the HP3000, my entire life would change, and would almost be
complete.

Samba uses the SMB protocol to present it's resources (disk and
printers) as though they were just another windows PC or NT server. No
permanent connections or mountings like NFS or Novell. It comes as
source, prepared for many UNIX platforms and ready to compile and
implement.

And so reasonably priced! :)

Neil

Neil Harvey