HP3000-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

From:
Ron Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:29:16 EST
Like barnyard fowl, I like to crow when the sun comes up.

So, **PLUG ALERT**.

I trialed Bradmark's DBGENERAL a year or so ago and was
quite impressed.  I saw no reason to move away from Adager
for database therapy and maintenance, but the disk space
management module was a tool I just had to have in my collection.

After grumbling over the price, I finally got the DSM module
last week, and having already used it once, naturally I could
slap it on and make immediate use of it again.

The results were better than expected:  first execution, mid-
evening when system load is less than half daytime volumes,
returned 1.3 GB of space to productive use, on a 21-spindle,
four-volume system showing signs of significant fragmentation.

Think about it.  That's pretty close to adding another disk
drive to the system.  So it paid nearly half its capital cost
in ONE EXECUTION.

Its blindingly fast, and dead easy to use.

So, kudos to Bradmark, and apologies to the list for this shameless
plug.

Ron Burnett (who has no relationship to Bradmark other than customer)
Royal Children's Hospital