HP3000-L Archives

September 1996, Week 2

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]]

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996 09:59:00 PDT Tracy Johnson wrote :

>If anyone is using an old version of RoadRunner (mine is 4.21) is it not
>supposed to work on 5.5. As I've been told by Unison. It still works on
>5.0.

I don't know about version 4.21 but I received this note from someone at
Unison after experiencing some problems on MPE/iX 5.0 with version 4.19 ! [...]43_9Sep199605:19:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 1996 14:16:53 -0500

> Ray:  This is my biggest problem with HP and OEM software which they
license...
>    They could get things out a heck of a lot faster if they did not spend so
muc
>    time pouring over the product.  When they OEM'd Session from Tymlabs as
>    AdvanceLink for Windows, they were always at least 3 versions behind.
>
>    ODBC/Link is a proven product, and Birket's people do a heck of a job ---
>    think HP needs to find some way to "fast-track" the release for those who
>     either do not need the additional function or cannot afford ODBC/Link.
We
>     have waited long enough.
>
> Joe Geiser

Isn't this the price we pay for the reliability and RC support of MPE? Testing
and support preparation take time. Obviously, with 32bit ODBC and HP missing
the call on Win95 preparation in general, I would hope they can "fast track"
the release. The idea of putting it out as an open Beta sounds attractive to
me.

Richard ([log in to unmask])