HP3000-L Archives

September 1996, Week 1

From:
David Largent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Largent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 07:41:17 -5
At the risk of starting another "us vs. them" war, I'm going to open
up a can of worms for some selfish reasons.  The "it will never
happen here" syndrome is coming too close for comfort to being
proved wrong at my office.

What I'm talking about is that it's been suggested by the company's
new owners that I look at a Unix machine to replace our HP3000.

What I'd like from all of you kind folks are some _true_ accounts of
experiences you've had when you moved from an HP3000 to a Unix box.
I'm not looking for rumors or propaganda, but real-life experiences.
I guess to be fair, I need to ask for both the good and the bad - but
some how I know which I'll get more of.    ;-)  Here's a few
questions to get you started...  (as if you really needed any help!)

    What kind/how much staffing changes needed to be made?

    What kind/how much training was required?

    I've heard it said that the problem with Unix systems is getting
    them installed and working, but once they're up and running,
    they present relatively few problems.  Do you agree?

Again, (being a pacifist) I'm not wanting to start a war, and
encourage an open, honest exchange of information. So there you go.
Let's start entering and processing the data...

Thanks much.

BTW, being in digest mode, I'd appreciate you copying me privately
when you respond to the list.

Dave "I still don't think it will happen here" Largent
David L. Largent                     "My thoughts are my own,
Information Services Manager          unless I choose to share them!"
The Gilbert Companies, Inc.          Phone: 317/284-4461
P.O. Box 1032                        Facs:  317/288-2079
Muncie, Indiana  47308-1032          Email: [log in to unmask]