HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 4

From:
Gregory Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gregory Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:32:34 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Jeanette/Ken Nutsford) writes:
: Hello HP3000 users.
:
: From the HP WORLD'96 Conference at Anaheim I gained the impression that DLT
: technology is the new tape storage medium of choice.
:
: I have two questions for consideration.
:
: a) Are DLT drives supported on the HP3000 under MPE/iX?

Yes, The only problem is the DLT drives do not support setmarks which HP
store uses when writing to labeled tapes. To get around this you can do one
of the following:

  1. Configure the drive as an "HPC1520B" (or other similar DAT drive)
     and use only unlabeled tapes with store and turbostore.

  2. Use special  firmware  so the drive  emulates a 7980S  which will
     then work with labeled  tapes, but fast search when doing restore
     will not work.

  3. Use a third party  software such as ORBiT which  supports the DLT
     and by the way the new Exabyte 8mm Mammoth drive.

: b) What is HP's DLT drive strategy for the HP3000?

I don't know  about  this, but I wouldn't  hold my  breath.  They were
very slow getting  support on their UNIX systems and it seems like the
HP3000 people move even slower when adding support for new technology.

:
: Thanks to anyone who can help with some answers.
:
: Ken Nutsford
: Timeshare Systems Ltd.

*  Greg Pearson          IEM, Inc. (USA)                *
*  Sys Admin             1629 Blue Spruce Drive         *
*  [log in to unmask]          Fort Collins, Colorado  80524  *
*  http://www.iem.com    phone: (970) 221-3005 x293     *
*                        fax  : (970) 221-1909          *