HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 4

From:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 20:20:09 -0700
On Aug 21,  9:04pm, (Rick Clark) wrote:
> Subject: Re: Remote Access
> In a message dated 96-08-21 08:46:41 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Steve Patterson)
> writes:
>
> << I've been looking at remote node access to our Novell LAN and have
>  encountered *many* products that will provide reasonable access from home.
>  Remote control doesn't seem like the way to go.  I would appreciate any
>  information on  what type of remote node solutions are being used out there?
>   My key guidelines are performance, ISDN capability (6 - 12 months away),
>  security, and ease of use/administration.  Initially hoping to allow two
>  concurrent connections, eventually as many as four (or more).  Running
>  Netware 3.11 (patched almost to 3.12), have USR 28.8 modems.  I've dabbled
>  with PCAnywhere, but the performance was unacceptable. >>
>
> Do you wish to use your present modems?
> If not, I recommend Shiva products. They have both dial up and ISDN options.
> Are these modems on the host or remote sites?
>
> Rick Clark
> P/A for WWR
>-- End of excerpt from (Rick Clark)

We both use and sell the Shiva.  We have been using one for about two years in
a Novell, HP 3000, HP 9000 and NT environment.  It's great!!!

|  Charles Finley                                 Internet: [log in to unmask]  |
|  Open-Ended Systems Corporation                 Voice:  (310) 419-5903      |
|  546 N. Oak St., Inglewood, CA 90302            FAX:    (310) 419-0267      |