HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 4

From:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 14:55:23 -0600
While Karl points out some of the issues with user volume sets, I have
seen one major advantage with them.  If you lose a disk drive on a user
volume set, only the applications with data (or programs) on that set
are down.  Additionally, you can mirror the user volume sets, but you
cannot mirror the SVS.  Finally, if you lose a drive on the SVS, the
smaller your SVS in size, the faster it is to recover.

So, the *one* major advantage (I can't count) is that user volume sets
give you a much better chance for keeping your system up.

lb