HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 4

From:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:57:58 GMT
Davidson, Brian ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

: Would you elaborate on which of the HP LaserJet models will/will not talk
: back to the 3k spooler? Specifically, will LJ 4+, LJ 4si, and LJ 5si (all
: with JetDIrect Cards) let the spooler know when toner is low, paper out,
: restart capability etc.

I don't have the complete list in front of me, but all the models you
listed above are on it.  Generally, any LaserJet in and above the "4"
series belong on that list.

: Which models support PJL?

There are several features of PJL, and not all printers support all features.
The good news is that the spooler only uses the Printer Status Readback and
Printer Job Boundaries features.  These are supported on all of the "4"
series except the 4L (does not support Job Boundaries).  Lack of Job
Boundaries support only affects the spooler's ability to recover to a
specific page; it does not affect toner low, paper out, etc., status
reporting.

Hope that helps.

-Larry "MPE/iX Spoolers 'R' Us" Byler-