HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 4

From:
Greg Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 16:09:59 +1000
I know that this is not HP3000 specific, but as Reflection is
commonly used by many members of this list...

We are currently experiencing 2 problems with Reflection.  We have
asked the local distributor to investigate, including sending trace
listings - they say they're stumped & that WRQ have no clues what's
going on.

1. We have users who use Reflection for Windows v4.21 & v5.0 to
telnet to the HP via a DTC.  We're on MPE/iX 4.0 (soon to upgrade)
using a proprietary DBMS.  The problem is that, when printing to an
attached printer (ie. local to the PC) using log-bottom or copy
screen from the database application, sometimes the telnet
connection drops out or, more commonly, the PC locks up
forcing a reboot - the result is loss of the data entered during the
transaction & lots of aggro :(  I have been able to duplicate it by
queueing up a couple of print jobs to the PC printer.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems or know of a
work-around, without doing a rewrite of the all the printing
processes in the application?

2. Many of our outside users log in from universites through the
internet.  Along the way, there is frequently a LOT of congestion
(either within the uni or on the internet).  When the congestion
gets bad, they experience frequent telnet disconnections - it seems
to be something to do with telnet not receiving a reply quickly
enough & thinking it's lost the connection, so it drops out.  One of
our users said that he was absolutely positive that there is a way of
setting the timeout period within Reflection to overcome this
problem.  Our supplier says there isn't.
By the way, our external users have a variety of platforms, from
antique PCs on DOS to Macs to Pentium PCs, with Reflection for DOS,
Mac & Windows - all experience the drop-outs.

Any comments/clues/workarounds?

TIA.

Greg Chaplin
UniSuper
Level 28, 367 Collins St,      Email: [log in to unmask]
Melbourne 3000,                 Phone: +61 3 9648 4145
Australia.                             Fax: +61 3 9648 4141