HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 4

From:
Jeanette Nutsford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeanette Nutsford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 21:26:44 EDT
I am now half way through reading the new book "The Legacy Continues, Using the
HP3000 with HP-UX and Windows NT" which came available at HPWORLD'96.  This book
is written by Mike Yawn, George Stachnik and Perry Sellars (all from HP). The
book is published by Prentice Hall.

The only complaint I have is that the title does not do credit to the content.
I believe this book contains the best aids to a developer in moving into the new
era of client/server that I have ever read.  The authors develop a new software
development architecture which I am sure most developers would be able to
understand.  They encompass the HP3000, the HP9000 and the PC (in whatever
flavour you require).  This book will become a reference book for me as I
develop my own programming principles to include new hardware architectures
without losing any of my existing principles.

I strongly encourage everyone who is interested in developing programs in a
client/server environment to get a copy of this book.  Maybe we should start a
thread discussing the principles that the authors are advocating? Should this be
on the HP3000-L or in one of the SIG listservers.  I am happy  to host it on the
SIGCOBOL-L but I would like to have non COBOL developers participate as well.
Any suggestions?

My grateful thanks to Mike, George and Perry for their outstanding work which
must have taken many hours of their own time.

I look forward to hearing other comments.

Jeanette Nutsford
SigCOBOL Co Chairman