HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 3

From:
Bob Niland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:01:05 GMT
Glenn Pooler ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> Please pardon my near total ignorance of HP and Apple products.  I need
> information on connecting an HP Deskwriter for an Apple computer to an
> IBM compatible PC through the serial port.  Can it be done?

Probably not.  A PC can't connect to it.  and if it could, can't speak
to it.

DeskWriters speak the Apple QuickDraw page description language.  There
are, as yet, no drivers for QuickDraw in PC operating systems.  (The PC
version of the printer, the DeskJet, speaks HP-PCL (Printer Control
Language.))

Further, the DeskWriters interface to the Apple host via LocalTalk, a
serial interface peculiar to Apple, and not generally available on PCs.
(DeskJets use parallel/IR these days, with some older models also having
RS-232C serial.)

HP never offerred conversion kits, because they would be completely
uneconomical.  Your best bet is to sell the 'Writer and get a 'Jet.
Note - if you get a DeskJet 85x or 87x, it supports *both* environments
(has both QuickDraw and PCL, and both LocalTalk and parallel).

Regards,                                            1001-A East Harmony Road
Bob Niland                                          Suite 503
Internet:  [log in to unmask]                              Fort Collins
Unless otherwise specifically stated,               Colorado     80525   USA
expressing personal opinions and NOT
speaking for any employer, client or
Internet Service Provider.