HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

From:
Randy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:49:02 -0400
We have had a similar problem with our boxes ever since we moved
to 5.0.  Here's what we do to solve the problem:

1)  TERMDSM the port 3 or more times
2)  FILE RESTPORT;DEV=portid
3)  ECHO press return to continue >>*RESTPORT  (do that a few times)

That formula seems to work most of the time.  It seems that TERMDSM
frees up the port for use, then the ECHO actually pushes something
through to remove the final block.  Honestly, I'm not sure that it's a
reasonable explanation, but that's the only one I came up with.

Sometimes all it will take is a TERMDSM.  Sometimes all it will take is
just the ECHO.  Sometimes we use the formula.  Sometimes we try
a variation on the formula.  For instance, sometimes the ECHO will
hang the session that issued it.  We start another session and do
the echo again and that cleared it up.

All things considered, once we started doing those types of things,
we haven't had to reboot due to terminal hangs.

Hope this helps!

- Randy Smith