HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

From:
Allen Heap <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Heap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 16:09:40 GMT

> Hung DTC ports
>
> "Glenn A. Mitchell" <[log in to unmask]>
> Mon, 05 Aug 1996 15:17:53 -0700
> Maine Medical Center
>
> Newsgroups:
> comp.sys.hp.mpe
>
> We seem to be having difficulties with hung ports on our DTC48's.  A
> SHOWDEV commands indicates the device is "nnn J UNAVAIL SYS #1".

There
> is no IO to ABORT with the ABORTIO command.  A TERMDSM Reset doesn't

do
> anything either.  Is there anything else short of rebooting the system
> that I can do to clean these up?
> BTW we're running MPI/iX 5.0 on a 947RX.
> TIA.
> --
> Glenn A. Mitchell               mailto:[log in to unmask]
> Director, Computer Technology   http://www.mmc.org
> Maine Medical Center
> Portland, ME  04101

Glenn, I'm not sure what is causing your ports to hang.  I have a

similar problem.  I have DTC 48's (3 pin connections) going to MUXes.

Occasionally, I will get a situation where the terminal is turned off,

but the remote MUX sends a signal to the DTC and the HP thinks someone

typed the return key.  When I do an abortio of the device, it clears for

a second then gets the UNAVAILABLE SYS message on the SHOWDEV xxx

command.  Sometimes running Termdsm and resetting the port using the
PO form of the reset instead of the Ldev form works, but usually I have

to have the remote MUX reset to stop the endless simulated enter keys.

I hope this gives you some ideas.  Also, this situation fills up my

system log files very fast, so I have to catch the problem within a day

or two or my disk space gets used up.

Regards,

Allen Heap
Baltimore County Local Government