HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

From:
"Geiser, Joe" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Geiser, Joe
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 17:23:11 -0700
Anaheim....

It was announced that M.B.Foster Associates, Ltd., has licensed portions of it's
ODBC/Link technology to HP to replace the current PC/API.

According to Birket Foster (who had to supply me these answers, as I was getting
swamped with questions from attendees here)...HP will license both 16 and 32 bit
versions, plus Winsock interfaces (no serial interface) for Image/SQL and Allbase
only.  In addition, no multi-threading, as found in the product - only 1 DBE per
connection.

This provides equal function to the existing PC/API (for 16-bit) and adds 32-bit
to the suite - for those who need it.  If further function is needed, such as serial
links, MPE or KSAM files, users would "upgrade" to the ODBC/Link product.

Hope this helps answer some questions you might have.  For HPWorld 96
Attendees - both Kriss Rant and Birket Foster will be panelists on the
Client-Server Roundtable, Friday, 10:00 AM, Room A1, and will be addressing
these questions in more detail

Joe Geiser
Moderator, Client-Server Roundtable
HPWorld 96, Anahiem