HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

From:
Eric Bender <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Bender <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:05:24 -0400
At 03:26 PM 8/6/96 +0000, Tom Emerson wrote:

>Judging from the relative quiet on this list, I suspect everybody who
>posts regularly is indeed at the show this week.  For those of you going
>later in the week, or deciding to get away for a day (perhaps just for
>the vendor show ;) ), let me tell you my tale of woe regarding
>registering via their "on-line" registration system.

                                <snip>

>$
>$redo
>redo: not found
>$
>
>ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! This is a UNIX system!!!!!!
>

>(ok, it *MIGHT* have been a 3K running a POSIX application, but somehow I
>doubt it...)

                                 <snip>

Just goes to show you how HP doesn't always profit from its own customers'
knowledge base. The reason I'm not at HPWorld is that we're in the midst of
registering some 5,000 students using an online touchtone telephone
registration system interfacing with an HP3000. The heart and soul of the
application is our registration program written in good ol' COBOL. Has run
like a charm for 7 years (14 registrations) now...

And we're only one of a number of post-secondary institutions using the
HP3000 for this purpose.

Anyway, enjoy the conference.

Regards, Eric Bender

Eric Bender, Coordinator, Computer Services, John Abbott College
P.O. Box 2000, Ste. Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada    H9X 3L9

Voice: (514) 457-6610, Ext. 208        Fax: (514) 457-3027

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

Visit our Website:  http://www.JohnAbbott.Qc.Ca