HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:18:04 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> We have a remote site, 2000+ miles away, that in the near future will need
> to access our HP3000.  One of the 'site survey team' members asked me if
> the HP3000 will 'handle' an ISDN connection.  I have no idea what type of
> connectivity an ISDN line will make available, since from the little that
> I've read about ISDN lines it will support *no* more than 2 connections,
> but I must provide him an answer.
>
> So my questions are:
> 1.  Does the HP3000 'support' an ISDN connection?

No. (Not directly)

> 2.  Are there any additional HW/SW needed to 'handle' an ISDN connection?

Yes. If you're talking ISDN, you're referring to a network protocol. To get
a network connection to your 3000, you just connect a device (a router) to
your network, which also happens to be connected to your 3000 (the lanic
interface that comes with all MPE/iX systems or the optional lanic you can
buy for MPE/V systems).

Simple answer; plug in an ASCEND/ISDN-compatible router/server on your
network.

> 3.  Any recommendations for providing connectivity to such a remote site
>     would be appreciated.

You can find a wide variety of routers that support ISDN connections. You're
basically talking about servers on your network that will accept the dialup-
like connections of ISDN clients. Ascend is one of the big names in ISDN
connection hardware.

You'll need a ISDN-compatible router on your network, and those sites choosing
to dial-in (via ISDN) will need ISDN compatible routers (if multiple hosts) or
modems (for individual clients) that will "dialup" your server and essentially
become part of your network. ISDN in this sense works identically to plain-
old telco lines (functionally at least) but much faster (dialups established
in about 300ms I believe) --and with non (plain-old-telco)-compatible modems
and phone lines.

Also, ISDN connections over long distances are just now hitting the mainstream
-in the past ISDN connections between different service providers were not
entirely compatible, and even today it's often difficult to get definitive
answers from some local telcos about service options and availability. My
impression is that ISDN between offices/locations served by the same telco
is doable (IFF the local telco supports ISDN at all), though long-distance
stuff is still a little bleeding-edge. [caveat emptor]

[disclaimers; I have no direct experience with Ascend, though I know several
ISPs that use their equipment.]

                    -Chris Bartram