HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 1

From:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 10:02:19 -0700
On Aug 2,  9:16am, John Korb wrote:
> Subject: DSCOPY: Target file cannot reside in a heirarchial directory (nft
> OK, there MUST be a good reason for this restriction, as someone went to
> all the trouble to create a special error message for it.  So what's the
> reason?  None that I can think of.  Here's an example.
>
> FEPC [8]: dscopy phlpsds.temp;/COMM/TEMP/test.html,cda9[manager/.comm/];rep
>   Source file: PHLPSDS.TEMP.COMM
>   Target file: /COMM/TEMP/test.html
>   TARGET FILE CANNOT RESIDE IN A HEIRARCHIAL DIRECTORY (NFT/3000 ERR 114)
>   UNABLE TO CREATE OR OPEN TARGET FILE.  (NS/NFTERR 33)

It was relatively easy for us to add an error message indicating that HFS
syntax
is not supported vs. changing the code and doing lots of testing to
ensure that a subsystem correctly supports HFS names.  An alternative was
to not change the subsystem at all, in which case you would see a
bizzare MPE filename syntax error.  We wanted you to see a meaningful
error message but didn't have the time to really solve the problems.

This topic is one of the pre-submitted MPE Technical Roundtable questions.
And here is a pre-submitted answer, which may spur further discussion:

  Fixing subsystems or CI commands, etc to work better with POSIX has been
  an ongoing activity referred to as "POSIX smoothing".  Latetly we have
  not been investing in this effort.  My answer to the above Roundtable
  question is that our current plans do not include POSIX smoothing
  activities.  Our focus is oriented more towards satisfying SIG requests,
  and critical defects than fixing what I would classify as a med. priority
  SR.

Jeff Vance, CSY