HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 1

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:44:18 -0600
Cecile Chi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Even overloading an HP3000 should not necessarily cause a system
>failure.  Recently a 960 I was working on "hit the wall", just as we were
>warned from the first MPE/XL release.  There were 280 sessions and
>30 jobs running at the time, and apparently one more process was the
>last straw.  The system did not go down, though.  I could still do a
>SHOWJOB, I just couldn't do any useful work.  ABORTJOB didn't.
>Eventually enough people were persuaded to log off, so that MPE
>had room to manuever, and then the machine was back in business.
>This 960 is still on 4.0; there's no extra capacity to handle the
>additional overhead of 5.0.  Maximum number of users for a 960 is
>supposed to be 300; 280 sessions plus 30 jobs is pushing things a bit.

This reminds me that I never got a straight answer from Oracle or Sybase
(has ANYBODY gotten a straight answer from Oracle or Sybase?) regarding
this innocent question I posed at the New York Users Group back around
February 1994:

        How much does it cost me, in terms of hardware, software, gurus to
        run the show, etc., to have a 100-user installation with an Oracle
        or Sybase database (with all 100 users concurrently accessing
        the same database)?

Cecile's comment, regarding an ANCIENT HP3000/960 on an ancient version of
MPE running 280 sessions plus 30 jobs (310 "users" according to my loose
definition above) is outstanding.  She has managed to have THREE TIMES the
number of users involved in my (as-yet-unanswered) challenge to Oracle and
Sybase.  It would be nice to know how many different IMAGE databases she
supports and how many different users concurrently access these databases.

I wonder how much would be required to support Cecile's case on non-HP3000
hardware with non-IMAGE databases and with non-MPE operating systems.
(Don't forget to include, in the "how much" definition, the gurus to run
the show.)

Cecile's 960 is at the "low end" of the HP3000 family.  Just imagine the
thousands of users being concurrently supported, as I write this, on the
"upper end" of the HP3000 family; any volunteers to show off their sites?

|            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego               Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, Theoretical Group    Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.