HP3000-L Archives

August 1996, Week 1

From:
Dan Hollis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Hollis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 16:10:49 -0700
> Let me try to get this straight (even though the mathematics are extremely
> convoluted and you need an advanced degree to be able to interpret the
> subtle results):
>
> Three processors with 1000MB of memory on the Dec Alpha 2100.  That's THREE
> times the number of processors on the HP3000 and FOUR times the memory, for
> LESS THAN ONE THIRD concurrent users.

Ahem.

What wasn't elaborated on is what else the Alpha was doing. Is the application
X windows based? (Eg is the alpha not only running the application but also
serving X terminals?) How complex is the database on the Alpha? What language
is the application written in? Is the Alpha doing anything else at the same
time?

Just as an example of extreme silliness, you can run 200 users on a Pentium 90
with 64mb ram and mSql and still not max it out.

That's why these numbers are quite meaningless without some details.

Details, dammit! :-)

-Dan