HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 5

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:49:45 -0400
Yes Tony, somethings are going on with VPlus.   Below is
HP's outline for implementing scrollable pick lists.   I
hope HP doesn't mind my putting the proposal out publicly,
but the lab wanted comments and what better way?

I REMIND YOU AND OTHERS THAT THERE IS AS YET NO
COMMITMENT ON THEIR PART TO IMPLEMENT THIS.

I encourage any listener interested to forward
 comments to [log in to unmask]

ASAP please as I will take them to the SIG UI/VPlus
meeting at HPWORLD next week.  You are invited to
attend if you are interested.  The meeting is at 8.00 AM,
 Wednesday,8/7, in room C3.

A new intrinsic will be created to allow for displaying a scrollable
picklist. The intrinsic description will be as follows:

  VSCROLL( comarea, startrow, startcol, numrows, numcols, text)

  startrow - row where picklist window will start from
  startcol - col where picklist window will start from
  numrows, numcols - determine size of window
  text - output parameter which contains the text selected in the window

Operation
---------
The above intrinsic displays a window starting at <startrow>,<startcol>.
The size of the window will be <numrows> rows , <numcols> cols.
Text will be displayed in the window on each line. The text is obtained
from a file whose formal designator is 'POPUPDAT.PUB.SYS'.

The window will be scrollable to allow for additional text to be
displayed.
When text on any line is selected, the selected text is placed in the
<text> parameter and the intrinsic terminates. The intrinsic can also
be terminated by pressing a designated function key.

The operation will be done in block mode.

Notes
-----
1. This intrinsic should be called after a VREADFIELDS to select the
   text for a field on the current form.
2. It is the user's responsibility to appropriately place the selected
   text in the data buffer before the form is displayed again (if need
   be).
3. The picklist window can be invoked for any number of fields on the
   form.
4. Depending on the field, additional processing can be done before
   calling this intrinsic.

Regards,

Nick   nmdemos@access,digex.net