HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 5

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 12:33:01 -0400
In a message dated 96-07-29 19:24:43 EDT,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< My question is a multiple one.

 1- If I change the MAC address in NMMGR to another number, will this solve
my
 problem?

 > You don't wanna do that, it could cause other problems, like your DTC (if
any)
 for example

(I do not have a DTC.)

 2- If 1 above is yes, how do I do this on the HP 9000 (ooops, wrong list
:->)

 >You don't need to change the MAC address of the 9K to get DHCP to work. You
 have 2 alternatives. HP-UX 10.10 (as I know it) supports DHCP. Otherwise,
you
 can still use address reservation. To get the MAC address on the HP9000, use
 the command lanscan -v.

 3- If 1 above is no, how would I go about resolving this issue on the 3000,
 the 9000 still remains a problem.

 >I think some folks have already mentioned that using LINKCONTROL @;STATUS=A
 or C will give you the MAC address of the LANIC. LINKCONTROL is a pretty
 useful tool to give you some stats on your link as well. Use LINKCONTROL
 @;STATUS=S to see the stats. Good tool for basic troubleshooting.

 yuhsin
 -- these are my opinions and do not reflect HP's response center

As I said, I do not have a DTC.  The other answers from Yuhsin and others
were fine, and I did get the MAC address.  Unfortunately, this did not
resolve the problem, I still cannot PING my HP 3000 by name with a
reservation in DHCP and WINS enabled.  Since I have NT 4.0 beta 2, I have DNS
server on NT.  I have experimented with that a little bit, but still no
success.

How are people dealing with name resolution on Wintel/HP 3000 networks.
 LMHOST files perhaps, or simply HOSTS files everywhere.  Unless there is a
DNS server on the network of course.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .