HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 2

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 12:05:41 -0400
In a message dated 96-07-12 11:28:07 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Geiser, Joe)
writes:

<<
 If the modem is configured, then it should be working (did you hear
 the two beeps during bootup indicating that the card was registering?)
 Find out which COM port from Device Manager (right click My
 Computer, then select Properties...Select the Device Manager tab
 and select Modem, then click the Properties button - this will tell
 you the port).

Everything Joe said is fine, except for the beeping stuff.  There is a beep
issued for every PC-card you have inserted.  So if you have only a modem, you
will only get one beep.  I usually have two cards inserted, my xircom network
card and either a modem or a SCSI-Sound card for my CD-ROM.  When the first
card beeps (slot 1), you can see the lights on the xircom connector come to
life and the network activity.  When the second card beeps (slot 2) and I
have the cd-rom connected, the cd starts spinning.

If you insert the modem card once the system is running, you will get some
disk activity, a beep and a window to pop up showing you the settings for the
card it has recognised.  It will usually (though not always) be associated
with port 2 on a notebook.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .