HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 2

From:
Mel Rees <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 06:23:08 GMT
"SIMPKINS, Terry" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We have been (trying) using USRobotics Courier V.34 modems on DTC
>connections with "not so good" results.  It seems like I remember seeing
>something else about these modems on the list.

>The symptoms are:
> - the line rings
> - we hear the modems try to sync up
> - "no carrier" message - this doesn't look like a timeout. it only takes a
>couple of seconds to get the message

Make sure your modem allows the Carrier Speed to differ from the
Serial Port Speed (it is an AT command option).  Also, if you watch
the modems DTR light it will go on and off every two minutes (HP login
timeout) if you are using a STD HP cable.  If you try to connect and
the DTR goes out it will disconnect immediately.  We use US Robotics
for all our equipment and have found problems with modems that have
ROM dates after 9/15/95.  If you want a whole list of nauseating
stories about what works and what doesn't you are welcome to call me
at 206-391-9450 8am to 5pm Pacific Time.

FWIW
Mel Rees