HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 2

From:
Eric Schubert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Schubert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 10:13:28 -0500
F. Alfredo Rego wrote:

> Fred White and I are polishing up the final details of Adager's
> contribution to the year-2000 challenge and we need your collective help
> regarding a thorny issue.
>>>snip>
> Should we flag these values as "illegal" and convert them to 19991232 (or
> some such impossible and arbitrary date)?

No. Don't convert illegal dates.

>  The consequences are horrible.

By this I think you mean "how do I flag invalid dates that were never
intended to be dates?"

Leave them alone and apply the rules of the field type when expanded, i.e.,
blank fill on X type.  Right or Left fill?  Do what ADAGER does now for
expanding an X field.   Keep the fill consistent or invent syntax options to
let the user decide.

The other variation: "how do I flag invalid dates that _were_ intended to be
dates?"

Again, leave them alone and apply the rules of the field type when expanded,
i.e., blank fill on X type. I think the user should have this responsibility
for clean-up.  A date conversion utility should do only one thing, convert
_valid_ dates.

> For instance, different master-search-field values would collapse into one
> value and dangling orphan detail chains would result.

Leave them as they were, this problem is not yours.

> The date-converting
> procedures would "feel good", though, because they would not have
> contaminated themselves with non-DATE values and they would have washed
> their hands, perhaps with YOUR blood :-)

Boy, you did say PHILOSOPHICAL?, I guess you meant it.

>In all of these cases, you would have to change the tests in
> your applications anyway.

Yes, Changing an X6 to X8 would do this.  No magic bullet.

> What do YOU say?
>
> Hopefully, this small tasting will give you an idea of the flavors to come.

Water under the bridge, mind you, but if IMAGE had a DATE function (or any
function like USER, SEQUENCE, etc. for the sake of consistency would be
nice) that would auto-fill a field when a <null> is passed to it on DBPUT or
DBUPDATE, things might look a lot different now.

Functions would need to become part of the IMAGE schema definition and
stored in the root file.  No way around this.

Eric J. Schubert                    Senior Data Base Analyst
Office of Information Technologies  Univ of Notre Dame, IN USA
(219) 631-7306                      http://www.nd.edu/~eschuber