HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 2

From:
Richard Trapp RAT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Trapp RAT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 16:02:00 PDT
 Leonard Berkowitz ([log in to unmask]) writes:

>1. Is there a way that an executing MPE/iX command file can determine its
>name (file-name, group, account)?

As of MPE/iX 5.0 you can use the CI Var "HPFILE"...before that version, you
out of luck. (as far as I know)

>2. Can I perform I/O on a file within a loop and read successive records? I
>tried a WHILE loop but I keep reading the same record:
>
>    SETVAR COUNTER 1
>    WHILE COUNTER < FINFO ("file","EOF) DO
>        INPUT variable<file
>        do something else
>        SETVAR COUNTER COUNTER + 1
>    ENDWHILE

If you're file is a message file this should work fine, but you loose you're
file after you've read it.

I have a set of command files which allow you to write a command file which
will be passed the contents of a datafile 1 line at a time.  The gist of
this is  that you write a command file as data file processor: I.e, you
write a command file to do something based on the datafile.  I use this
mechanism to create short 'data'  files containing a hostname & logon
followed by filenames.  The command file reads this 'data' and logs on to
the specified machine and dscopies the files listed to appropriate places.
 This allows me to have a simple list of files (and a system name/logon)
separate from my command file which does all the work. That way, If I need
to change the datafile, I don't have to mess with all the commands, just the
simple 'data' file.  Let me know if this sounds interesting and I'll send
you the gory details.

>3. How could I have constructed a search within LaserRom/PC to have
answered
>these questions?

Beats me.  I don't have it...

Rich
________ Dynamic Information Systems Corp.   |
\!DISC / Rich Trapp                          | My opinions are my own.
 \    /  OMNIDEX Product Manager - IMAGE/SQL | With any luck they're
  \  /   Phone : 303 444-4000                | correct ;-)
   \/    E-mail: [log in to unmask]                |