HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 1

From:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 12:36:15 -0700
Jeff writes:

>Don't get me wrong, Posix was not a "mistake" nor a waste of development
>effort.  It can do incredible things we could never do before.

And this is a significant statement in a world where we want to compete. We
do have the possibility now of offering the opportunity to bring "world
class applications" (to quote another thread) to the 3k. While the GNU port
wasn't easy, the resulting environment is allowing me (and others) to port
non-Posix applications to MPE much quicker than normally would be possible.
As I improve the environment, I expect other ports to become easier and
easier. I was surprised at how easy it was to port Perl and PGP using the
GNU development environment. While I don't use Steve's BSD port, I imagine
that the same could be said about it as well.

POSIX IS DEFINITELY NOT A MISTAKE NOR A WASTE OF DEVELOPMENT EFFORT.

>The worst mistake was contracting out the shell to MKS, they most certainly
>didn't optimize code for MPE.

Maybe my next port should be BASH? (GNU shell)

Mark Klein                                              DIS International, Ltd.
http://www.dis.com                                      415-892-8400