HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 1

From:
Kevin Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 11:12:58 -0600
Hi,

We are moving our BASIC/3000-based applications to a
3-tiered client/server environment using Delphi for
developing applications for the client and MBFoster's
ODBCLink to access the data on the 3000.  The clients
will be running Windows '95 or Windows NT (4.0+).

We are exploring the possibility of having an
application server that will contain our online
applications, while large batch applications will reside
on our HP959/400, written in either PASCAL or
PowerHouse.  Basically the 3000 will be a "monster"
server for database access and batch processing.

Since we're novices with this approach we hoped that you
could help answer some of our questions:

o Is this approach possible?  What are the pitfalls?
o Is anyone using a similar solution?  If so, please
forward your phone number.  We'd like to talk with you.
o With this kind of environment, what should be looked
for in an application server(s), with approx. 300 users
using query only applications?
o Which kind of server is recommended? and why do you
say so?
o We intend to off-load batch scheduling to the
application server, are there any products available to
do this?
o What literature would you recommend to increase our
knowledge base?

I thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer.

Kevin Wilson
American Airlines
P.O. Box 156044
Fort Worth, TX  76155-1044