HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 1

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 23:24:34 -0400
I thought that some of you might like to see some of the problems that plague
Unix users.  The gentleman who writes the following is looking for some batch
control software but I thought that his motivations might prove of more
interest to this list's membership.  This comes from the HP-UX list.

>>> Begin extract

P.S.

Please allow me to give you the reasoning for this current requirement.
We're using Informix 5.0 databases for one of our applications. This
Informix version has a problem with locking, leading to a "deadly embrace".
Informix version 7.13 has a fix for this problem. Based on the reports
we got from other sites, version 7.13 is such a performance hog. (Informix
recommends that sites upgrade to "at least a 3-processor CPU when
upgrading to version 7.13". We now have a HP9000/G60, and we are upgrading
to a G70 (dual CPU) soon. But it seems that this is far below Informix'
recommendation.

Hence the need for a batch-control program with some logic processing.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

>>> End extract

Yup! Unix, architectural elegance through superior firepower.

--
James B. Byrne                 mailto:[log in to unmask]
Harte & Lyne Limited           http://www.harte-lyne.ca