HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 1

From:
Carlos Caballero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carlos Caballero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 12:23:12 PDT
"Rudderow, Evan" <[log in to unmask]> writes to this list:

   I see that Quest has joined Unison in being too embarrassed to mention in
   their ads that their products *also* run on MPE/iX .

   See the July '96 issue of Client/Server Computing: Quest has a full page
   ad for Vista and Unison's got one for RoadRunner.

I sympathize with the passion and HP-3000 loyalty that embeds Mr.
Rudderow's message, and I also realize that being this an HP-3000 mailing
list makes it an ideal ground for branding zeal and passionate declamation.

However, the conclusions derived by Mr. Rudderow are both unfounded and
misleading:

- They are unfounded, because the careful targeting of an ad to its most
  probable reader is driven NOT by corporate feelings of "embarrassment"
  (!?) but INSTEAD by the need to get to the right person with a message
  that she cares about. I encourage Mr. Rudderow to read the reader
  demographics for Client/Server Computing and develop the profile of a
  "typical reader" for the publication.

- The conclusions are also misleading, because they divert attention from
  the fact that Quest spends a lot of money developing, marketing and
  supporting MPE products. I encourage Mr. Rudderow to count how many pages
  of advertising he finds for our MPE and coexistence products placed
  during the last twelve months in MPE-targeted publications and compare
  them NOT ONLY with other Quest advertising placements BUT ALSO with those
  of any "non-embarrassed" companies (if such a thing exists...)

Yes, we develop and market products for the non-MPE platforms --not only
VISTA Plus, but also Oracle application tuning tools and some new products
you will hear about at HP World. We also develop coexistence products, such
as NFS/iX, NetBase Client and NBSpool connectivity. Also important, we have
a bigger development team devoted EXCLUSIVELY to developing MPE solutions
that most other MPE vendors, with some NEW products coming out before the
end of the year.

What does that mean? It means that we are committed to supporting ALL our
users, those that demand MPE solutions, those that ask for coexistence
solutions that only an MPE vendor can understand, and those that reutilize
our ten years of successful experience in other platforms.

We are not "embarrassed" about that.  As a matter of fact, we are very
PROUD of being successful, and we know that the ultimate judge, our loyal
users, like it as well, because they benefit from our alertness to industry
trends and our improved capacity to respond to their needs.

Carlos Caballero
Dir., Marketing
Quest Software