HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 1

From:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:40:38 PDT
requests for further information that are similar, so I figured I'd post
the responses since others must be interested.

> <plug alert>
> We've been using and supporting DLTs with our Backup+ product and have
> been highly impressed with their capability and speed. Recent
> performance testing indicates that transfer rates on the order of
> 6GB/hour (yes, six gigabytes per hour) are possible! DDS drives are
> just approaching about a third of that speed today.
> <end plug alert>

And the answers are:

Capacity of the device ranges between 40 and 80 gigabytes per cartridge.
Autochangers are available as well.

The device is configured as a DDS drive and fast search works:

LDEV:    17  DEVNAME:                    OUTDEV:        0   MODE:        R
   ID: HPC1520B                           RSIZE:       128   DEVTYPE: TAPE
 PATH: 56/52.1.0                          MPETYPE:      24   MPESUBTYPE:  7
CLASS: TAPE     DLT

Our test configuration shared the device on the same channel as the hard disks
being backed up. We believe that adding additional channels could improve the
performance beyond what we've seen. The test platform was a 928RX.

We're discussing the possibility of creating a DLT whitepaper and adding it to
our Web page. If that is the case, we'll make a public announcement that it
exists and is available.

Hope this helps.