HP3000-L Archives

July 1996, Week 1

From:
Eric Schubert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Schubert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 08:56:22 -0500
Date:    Tue, 2 Jul 1996 14:24:46 -0700
From:    Dan Hollis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Searching for 'NULL ITEM' in query

>Maybe I should have made this more clear...
>
>I'm wanting to search for NULL ITEM fields in Image/3000, not Image/SQL.

We always use the expression "less than spaces" (FieldName < " "), I assume
this is a Character field since you are having so much problems.

I guess you could sneak in "less than ctrl-a's" or something very close to
<null> to be more assured of getting null results.  I never had luck trying
to enter <null> from an interactive terminal, but once a long time ago a
flaky RAM in a 2622 sent random nulls within the data stream on block
transmissions, now that was fun to find!
Eric J. Schubert                    Senior Data Base Analyst
Office of Information Technologies  Univ of Notre Dame, IN USA
(219) 631-7306                      http://www.nd.edu/~eschuber

No hunchbacks here, just quarterbacks, halfbacks and fullbacks.
:-)