HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 5

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 14:17:31 -0400
Regarding Adobe Acrobat and .PDF files, I've given up on downloading the
Adobe reader.  After almost a dozen attempts over the past three weeks, I've
had enough.  I've downloaded a lot of software from many different sites,
but I have never had download attempts fail as many times as with Adobe.
There seems to be no pattern to the failures.  Some fail at 5% complete,
some fail at 43% complete, and some get to 97% complete.  The only thing
consistent is that all attempts fail.  Am I the only one with this problem?

As an example, Friday I wanted to download some documents from CISCO.  I was
under time pressure as Friday noonish I got one of those "we need an
analysis and report by Start of Business Monday" requests.  The CISCO
documents were in .PDF format, so I clicked on the link to download Adobe's
reader.  Three attempts and a couple of hours later, I decided I'd look at
the web sites of the other network equipment providers, got their spec
sheets, and Monday I'll pass along recomendatations for non-CISCO equipment.
I have a preference for CISCO, but I couldn't get the documents I needed via
the web, or by FAX.

As for the Acrobat reader, does anyone have a copy of the download file that
they can email to me?  I've had enough frustration with the Adobe web site
(and mirror) and don't intend to visit them again anytime soon.

John
John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.