HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 5

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 1996 21:39:13 -0500
 But
> equipment makes all of the difference. We now run PDF on three
separate
> levels of machinery (PDF Version 1.0 on a 486DX/2 66MHz 4MB Win3.1 PC,
> Version 2.1 on a  68040 8MB System 7.51 Mac Performa, and Versions 2.1
and
> 3.0 beta on a Pentium 100MHz 16MB Win95 PC). All of the printers
connected to
> these machines are PostScript/PCL Apple LaserWriters and HP IV
LaserJets

FWIW, I've been using Acrobat on a 386dx/25 with 8MB (on Win95!). The
display of pdf documents is usually reasonably fast (that is, just as
slow as anything else, but no slower, once the reader is loaded and
running), although printing does take a good while to a Deskjet 500
(PCL). No faults, either.

It has seemed that the versions of Acrobat I've used have improved since
last year, or perhaps it is the documents. Most of my experience has
been with the IRS's forms... Also, the service pack from Microsoft for
Win95 has helps speed up printing a bit.

In case someone misintreprets this, I use the 386 as my email machine at
home, whereas in the office I have (thanks, Xavier), a P-100 Vectra VL3
with 16MB, a PCI lan adapter, and a 17" monitor.

Richard G ([log in to unmask])
vist Xavier U of Louisiana at http://www.xula.edu/