HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 4

From:
Dan Hollis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Hollis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:21:11 -0700
> Reuters Corporate World News reported today that Merrill Lynch analyst
> George Elling said he lowered his earnings per share estimates for
> Hewlett-Packard stock because of a weakening in some of the company's
> business areas.
>
> -- "Some of the businesses that had been strong have begun to weaken like
> UNIX servers and home PCs. Europe remains weak and I think I might be
> somewhat high in quarterly numbers," he said.
>
> Okay, it's just another analyst peering into a crystal ball. But it's one
> of the first public forecasts I've seen of a decline in Unix popularity.

Or simply a decline in >>HP/UX<<. Remember that unlike the HP3000, there are
numerous vendors for Unix. But only >>one<< source for the HP3000.

Take a look at DEC or Sun sales, and then try to tell me that Unix is
declining. (Or look at the CD sales and download statistics for
NetBsd/FreeBSD/Linux)

If you took this report seriously, you'd also believe home PC sales are
declining.

-Dan