HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 4

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 07:49:09 +0200
Leon Degeling wrote:-

>If you want to change the behaviour of vi you need to create
>a file called .exrc
>
>I hereby send you all a file my collegue bart made, it remaps about
>every key he could think of. Place it in your home directory (posix) or
>in /SYS/PUB/.exrc
>this way it is always used, unless you override it with a local file.
>

>If you like it, send us a postcard.

It works! The arrow keys are useful again!
At least from the home directory. (I can't seem to make it work from
/SYS/PUB/.exrc).

Another little helper in the POSIX space is to include the line "set -o
vi" in the .profile file.
This gives the command line "vi" like editing capability, so you can
recall (esc K) and edit previously entered lines.
This is vital when dealing with cryptic UNIX like commands filled with
switches :)

Neil Harvey
Tel +27 21 221907 Fax +27 21 6896130