HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 4

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 11:11:59 -0400
In a message dated 96-06-20 19:03:54 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Jeff Kell)
writes:

>)
>
>On Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:28:46 -0400 Bob Brown said:
>>I *do* have 20MB in my NT server, which is also not enough :-(
>>I agree that what seems to be a lot of memory really isn't.
>
>Keeping things in perspective, we now have more RAM in our 3000 than we
>had disc storage on our first 3000 Series II.  Or that matter that on the
>IBM 360/30 we had when I started had a DOS kernel that fit into two pages
>(8kb).  [Not to restart a nostalgia thread...]
>
>Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

Good point.

I find the following memory sweetspot for i86 based PC:  More in any category
is better but price/performance is optimum at these:

Windows 3.x and DOS  4-8megs

Windows 95: 12 to 16 megs

Windows NT: Megs  preferably more like 64 if it is a server for more than a
few users, then increase as more users/applications are added.

Incidentally, to wax nostalgic for a few seconds.

I have been reading a lot of industry press in the last little while and one
thing emerges clearly:

Whereas a few years ago, the name HP was rarely mentionned and usually in
sidebars or stories about printers, HP is now one of the most, if not the
most mentionned name in such publications as CRN, PC Magazine, Byte and
various others.  I no longer get Computerworld, so I do not know what is
going on at that rag.  (CRN just awarded top honors to HP for their desktops.
 The little Vectra line and the company  is now the most highly regarded
according to resellers.  No wonder HP PC sales have been expanding so
quickly.)

It is very nice to see the company one has been, if not associated but
certainly promoting and following, for over 20 years go from near obscurity
to pre-eminence.  It makes up for all the barbs over the years from IBM, DEC,
DG, Sun and sundry keyboard jockeys.

The HP stories are not only about their excellent printers, but about their
servers and their desktops.  There are numerous mentions of the HP 9000 lines
as well.

The HP brand name is synonymous with Quality and Innovation.  Keep it up HP!

Unfortunately, references to the HP 3000 are only found in the highly
specialized press. (heavy sigh).

Kind regards,

Denys. . .