HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 4

From:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 12:29:00 PST
Mike conjectures:

>A platform-independent language such as Java could do wonders
>for the availability of new application programs for the HP
>3000.

I personally think this is the greatest gift that Java will
bring to the computing community. I wholeheartedly agree with
Mike's assessment. And, I would like to make a distinction
between "platform-independent language" and "run-time
environment" for this discussion. In this case, I'm speaking to
the possibility of generating native PA-RISC from a
platform-independent language called Java and not generating the
Java bytecode required for the run-time environment.

I've considered the possibility of creating a Java Language
front-end using the GNU compiler backend to provide a compiler
that uses the Java Language, yet generates native PA-RISC (not
Java bytecode). I haven't yet considered the possibilities and
potential problems in such a plan, but I would be interested in
general feedback at this time.

Regards,

M.