HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 4

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 09:05:26 -0700
Mike Yawn writes:

>It looks like I'll be hosting the Java BoF at HPWorld this
>year.  I'd appreciate any suggestions from the group as to
>how to make the agenda interesting.
>
>A report on the port of Java to MPE will definitely be
>included, and perhaps even a demo if luck is with us.
>
>My personal interest is on the side of serious application
>development using Java.  A platform-independent language such
>as Java could do wonders for the availability of new
>application programs for the HP 3000.  Are other people's
>interests similar, or more inclined towards Java as a
>WWW plug-in, or what?

I am interested in both, Java scripts/apps running on the client side
AND Java running on the HP 3000. We can get plenty of help currently
on Java scripts/apps on the client side, so I would prefer to see how
I could leverage Java as a language on my HP 3000. Here are some issues
that come to mind at this time:

-- Status of the Java port to MPE (availability, costs, support issues)
-- Java IDE for MPE?
-- Where will Java apps run, in MPE, Posix or both?
-- Class development to cover the basic MPE objects:
   -- Image/SQL
   -- Allbase/SQL
   -- KSAM
   -- MPE flat files of various types
   -- Intrinsics
-- Use of Java classes for socket i/o, both as client and server
-- How to connect Java server apps up to a www server

Duane Percox  (QSS)
[log in to unmask] (v:415.306.1608 f:415.365.2706)
http://www.aimnet.com/~qssnet/
 ftp://ftp.aimnet.com/pub/users/qssnet/
Don't miss the 'Land of QWEBS'... http://qwebs.qss.com