HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 3

From:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 07:48:00 +0500

> But what about AS/400 users who like the system and don't want/care
> about "openness," but just about getting their database applications
> running non stop, with a high load, etc.?

From a user standpoint, that a fair question.  And most of the case, the
user doesn't care about "openness."

However user's management is probably under constant critisism to look at
"open" systems.  There have been more than one time that some of our
elected officials have asked  why we don't have a network of PCs connected
to a file server.  They ask why we have this "centralized" computing
model.

The users like it.  Management asks why we do it the way we do.

Now, how can AS/400 users get away with it.  Part of the reason is since
there are sooooooo many AS/400s, there is a critical mass with more than
enough 3rd party vendors that have more than enough software choices.  I
don't know anything about the AS/400, but I'm sure it can talk to other
computers which qualifies it to be "open enough."

I'm not giving up, but it is going to be a constant battle.

/alan

Alan "be glad I'm still working on my first cup of coffee" Ambers