HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 3

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 20:19:32 -0500
> hi all!
>
> i appears that my here-to-for mythical 918 is about to appear on
> my doorstep :-)  so i thought i'd check with you about having all
> my bases covered....
>
> - the current box (922) is running 4.0, i expect (?) the new box
[snip]
> to arrive with 5.0.      thanks!     - donna

We replaced a 922 right away after the 918 came out.

If you don't want to upgrade to 5.0 on your 922 (which I wouldn't want
to do). I'll second Jeff's idea to use BULDACCT (with the onvs option,
if you use user volumes). Create the jobs and move them to the 918, then
run the one the creates the accounts (not the UDC one) them, all
*before* restoring all the data files. This will create the account info
and assign uid and gid values (for posix). Then your restore should go
smoothly. Take care of creating the user volumes, if you use them,
before running the BULDACCT job. After the restore, run the UDC BULDACCT
job to setup the UDCs. This is the method as I recall it, but I can't
check it right now.

You *did* get more ram for the 918 than you had for the 922 (4.0 vs
5.0)? Also, if your 918 has few discs, you will run into the "free space
on ldev 1" problem with 5.0. Otherwise a 918 is a great replacement for
a 922!