HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 1

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 12:01:59 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> Some applications are completely independant, others may work closely
> with one or more of the others, requiring data to be updated back and
> forth between them.  As far as consistency checks between systems,
> there is some, but it is limited to two or three accounts.
>
> One other piece of relevant information that I neglected to mention
> was the fact that the machine is used purely for production.  All
> development is done on a separate 980/100.

FWIW; I've always found it easiest (and seems to produce fewer problems when
new code is rollled into production) if the programmer's development accounts
are the same as the production accounts (i.e. executing code runs in PUB.A1
on development machine, and PUB.A1 on production machine, with same security
set on both systems).

As for managing source code, you can't beat a source-code management package
that'll let you 'check out' code to a programmer or analyst and then rolls
the changes back in when he/she is done.

                          -Chris Bartram