HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 1

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
HP-3000 Systems Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Brian White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 12:40:37 GMT
Brad Straiton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>1. As our company will be using SUPERDEX extensivly I want to find
>out if there any problems that we should look out for especially in
>the case of 'rollback recovery' ?

I have worked at a company using Superdex for a number of years. (From
before the days of HP-supported Third Party indexing.) While there have
a few (meaning small number) of problems over the years, they have been
fixed very quickly. Most involved us stretching the boundaries a bit, and
none involved the integrity of the indexed data. The need for rollback
recovery has not been great on the 3000, but the few times we did have to
recover, we had no index problems. Before the advent of TPI, we did have to
reindex once or twice due to recovery, but that did not keep us down long. The
reindexing facility works quickly.

>2. I know this question is very difficult to answer but would would
>happen if SUPERDEX becomes an unsupported product with IMAGE/SQL
>in the future , are there any guarantees ?

Never thought about this one much. Bradmark has always seemed to be a
reliable company. Best get this answer from them. I do know that our
project would be sunk in its current incarnation if we had to remove
Superdex from it. A mojor reorganization of the data structures would
be involved.

Hope this helps.
--

Brian J. White