HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 5

From:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 06:19:19 GMT
Roger Klump ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: [log in to unmask] (Jerry Bostick) wrote:

: >You can edit CATALOG.PUB.SYS to change it.

: >On my systems MPEIx 5.0, it is at line 295 and looks like this:

: >295     55 ENTER USER (!) PASSWORD:

: >Now, change anything ya want *except* the number 55.  Note
: >the colon causes the login user name to be inserted in the message.
       ^^^^^
Actually, the substitution character is the "!", not the colon.  The colon
is just another character.

: You can also change the password prompt through SYSGEN.  I don't
: remember exactly where it is in SYSGEN, but it is an option either in
: MISC or SYSTEM - I think SYSTEM.  The problem with doing this is that
: you have to restart the system for it to become effective.  The
: advantage to this is that when you do system updates, the file
: CATALOG.PUB.SYS may get overwritten and you would lose your changes.
: With the SYSGEN alternative - this won't happen.

I think you are confusing your prompts.  There is the initial prompt that
MPE displays when you first access the system (default is MPE/iX:).  I
believe this prompt is configurable in Sysgen.  You enter your logon
string in response to this prompt (say, HELLO MYUSER.MYACCT).  At this point
MPE displays the prompts Jerry refers to:
ENTER ACCOUNT (MYACCT) PASSWORD:          and
ENTER USER (MYUSER) PASSWORD:

These two prompts are kept in (and are fetched from) CATALOG.PUB.SYS, as
Jerry wrote.  They are not configured by Sysgen.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

-Larry "not a spooling question, so no spooling .sig" Byler-