HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 5

From:
Roman Sallin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roman Sallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 00:32:30 MESZ
John Cade wrote:
> I have no idea what unicode is.  But I bet you could get your question
> answered directly from HP, the MANUFACTURER of Allbase/SQL. :(

Here is a short description of Unicode:

Unicode is a 16-bit, fixed-width character encoding standard that
encompasses virtually all of the characters commonly used on
computers today. This includes most of the world's written
languages, plus publishing characters, mathematical and technical
symbols, and punctuation marks.

The Unicode Consortium was founded in 1991 as a non-profit
organization dedicated to devising and promoting the Unicode
Standard. Its membership now includes companies such as Adobe,
Aldus, Borland, Digital, GO, IBM, HP, Lotus, Metaphor, Microsoft,
NeXT, Novell, Sun, Symantec, Taligent, Unisys, and WordPerfect.

Windows NT resp. Win32 API uses Unicode internally.

So my question remains: will Allbase/SQL support in the future ?

As there are many special characters in Europe, Unicode would make
things easier for a lot problems.

Sorry for insisting...

TIA, Roman

*  Roman Sallin                           Tel     +41 (0)31 9810666      *
*  SWS SoftWare Systems AG                Fax     +41 (0)31 9813263      *
*  Freiburgstr. 634                       E-Mail  [log in to unmask]    *
*  CH - 3172 Niederwangen                                                *