HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 5

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 1996 07:59:43 -0700
Denys wrote in part (in response to my post):

>It is certainly proper to *strongly* suggest that HP pay more
>attention the HP 3000 user community. It is proper to ask HP what their
>intentions are with respect to the HP 3000. This should be done
>at HP World '96.

I agree. I was trying to walk the fine line of not telling them how
to run their business vs getting the point across.

>How HP deals with the HP 3000 will be remembered for a long, long time.

Exactly!  I have had a business relationship with HP for over 15 years as
an ISV and now as a DAR. If they are not more careful they might see
vendors like us change allegiances.

>Now, another thing.  Duane mentionned that HP probably has had NT on
>PA-RISC for a number of years. I respectfully point out that Wim
>Rowlands,*ex*-HP pointed out that NT was not and would never be on
>PA-RISC.  He would not have told such a fib now, would he?  :-> (sounds of
>sustained laughter.

I am not under any non-disclosure regarding the information I posted. Also,
my friendly list members....seriously consider the source. I never did
trust WR and never will.

>To my mind, I believe  MPE and its users would be well served if there
>were a tighter integration between MPE and NT.  I have been harping on
>this for a long time now, and I am sure some of you are getting tired of
>hearing this, but I really believe this to be critical.

I definitely agree. In my mind this means being able to develop software
on the 3k that can play along with the MS object model, both from a
client and from a server point of view. I would seriously want to know
what your (Denys) view is on this matter (specifically what does it mean
to have tighter integration).

>To just close our eyes and wish UNIX and now NT away, will
>not work.  This ostrich method of planning is best left to. . . ostriches.
> This summer NT 4.0 will be hitting the streets, and. . . well you will
just have to wait.  I have NT Server 4.0 running on one of my boxes.  It is
good.

We have been running flavors of NTS since Oct 94. Easy to administer. Easy
to develop for. Marry NTS4.0 with MS SQL Server 6.x and you have a box that
starts to make the smaller 3k systems pale by comparison. HP knows this. So
does the market.

Duane Percox  (QSS)
[log in to unmask] (415-306-1608, fax 415-365-2706)
http://www.aimnet.com/~qssnet/
 ftp://ftp.aimnet.com/pub/users/qssnet/
"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas." -- Linus Pauling