HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 5

From:
Allen Heap <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Heap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 08:03:17 GMT

> Does ODBC work.
>
> "Bryan O'Halloran" <[log in to unmask]>
> Wed, 29 May 1996 15:18:17 +1000
>
> Newsgroups:
> comp.sys.hp.mpe
>
> We have been trying to use ODBC for a while without success.  We have

tried
> Ethernet and Token Ring media. We have tried WfW 3.11 and Novell

Winsocks.
> We seems to be running the latest ODBC client and patch level 50.05

We
> have tried as many variations as we can with no success even though

the
> various PCs can see the HP3000s (PING, Reflection etc). The error

message
> we get is "Logon Error 4053".
> Has anyone else any experience of this problem or should I wait a

little
> longer for the Response Centre to track down a possible cause.  (We

first
> advised them in early September 1995)
> Regards
> Bryan O'Halloran

I've been successful in using the ODBC interface version

A.G1.05 downloaded from HP and the Express 3 powerpatch for MPE/iX 5.0.

My PC is a Pentium with 1.2 Gig disc and 16 meg. RAM.  I am connecting

to a token ring LAN which is bridged to Ethernet and connecting to my

HP3000 series 948 DTC LAN.  On my PC, I am using WFW 3.11 and the latest

TCP/IP stack downloaded from Microsoft.  I am using the ARPA listener

on the HP (ANSTART ARPA) to connect to my DBE.  You might make sure your

HOSTS file on your PC has a short nick-name for the HP3000 to go with

the IP address and that the nick-name is being used in your connection

string generated by the ODBC data sources (in your control panel of

Windows).  I hope this helps.

Regards,

Allen Heap
Baltimore County Local Government