HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 5

From:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 1996 09:35:34 -0600
On 25 May 96 at 16:43, Wirt Atmar wrote:

> It should be reiterated that the proposed poster is going to be BIG. Each
> panel of the poster will be 3 feet by 4.5 feet -- and there will be 2500 such
> panels (50 rows of 50 panels each).  What that means is the poster is going
> to be almost the length of a standard American football field (and that
> brings up a very serious question: Does anyone know how wide a football field
> is? The planned poster's aspect ratio will be 1:1.5, but that may be too wide
> for a football field).

I don't remember the exact size of an American Football field.
However, I do know it is *less* than an English Football field, which
is 50 meters by 100 meters.  Many (if not most) American Football
fields double for English Football fields, because the side lines are
so large.  So, since you only need 150 feet wide, you should be able to
do this on any 'standard' English Football field.

> However, if you do make a commitment to produce a row of panels, you must
> follow through -- or let us know in plenty of time in advance otherwise. If
> you don't come through, your absence will be sorely missed (In fact, a lot of
> people will probably be sore).
Maybe a letter from a company officer (VP Systems, etc.) stating that
their company is allowing this to occur would be *very* useful.  I
believe you would hate to have someone finish a row, only to have it
confiscated by the company, since it was done on company equipment.
And I would suspect that an employee who will be printing this would
like the assurance that they will not be fired for using the company
equipment.

> We've run some tests here and we've found that the best way to tack the
> panels into grassy ground is with those toothpicks that have the little curly
> hats on them. The hats act like a nail head for the toothpicks so that they
> don't go all the way through the paper -- and the toothpicks anchor
> themselves reasonably well into the ground.

Could you use the ones with umbrellas? :)

Larry