HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 5

From:
Bob Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 10:31:05 PST8PDT
> Bryan O'Halloran <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >We have been trying to use ODBC for a while without success.  We have tried
> >Ethernet and Token Ring media. We have tried WfW 3.11 and Novell Winsocks.
> >We seems to be running the latest ODBC client and patch level 50.05  We
> >have tried as many variations as we can with no success even though the
> >various PCs can see the HP3000s (PING, Reflection etc). The error message
> >we get is "Logon Error 4053".

We've been using HP's ODBC successfully for a few years now with the
LWP(now Novell) Winsock v4.1

 "Rudderow, Evan"  replied:
> There *used* to be a problem with the G0 ODBC driver going to a G0 Allbase
> (or Image/SQL) database -- for no good reason you'd get the error:
>      MISSING PASSWORD (DBERR 35407)

The 'no good reason' is a bug in G0. You must logon using *no*
password otherwise you get the above message. This is fixed in G1.

> We alleviated the message by backdating to the F0 ODBC driver.  Your message
> sounds kinda, sorta similar.  I know this sounds *really stupid*, but have
> you tried using older versions of the Allbase ODBC driver (available at
> http://www.3k.com/)?

Hmmm, good idea. I didn' think of it.
Once you get a configuration that works, stick with it, forever.
Currently we use ImageSQL B.G0.05, Allbase A.G0.30, ODBC A.G0.06.
This has worked successfully for about a year.

I just tried upgrading to Allbase G1 series(and the Express 3 update)
and ended up with 'System Abort 1458'  from a PowerBuilder app.
Had to roll back to previous versions mentioned above.

Every time I put a message up on this topic I get a friendly reminder
from MB Foster that they offer an ODBC solution. It may be worthwhile
looking into. I'm starting to think it may be worthwile for me to
look into it.

Good luck,  Bob.

--=--=--
Bob Walker, Computer Centre  --  [log in to unmask]
Capilano College, North Vancouver, BC, CANADA.