HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 4

From:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 11:14:00 +0500
Terry said....

> Is is possible to connect the DTC to the UTP (with a media converter
from
> Black Box) ?
> The 3k is connected to the PC "LAN" and we use our PCs extensively to
access
> the 3k.  I have never done this sort of a connection before and don't
want
> to order the converter if it won't work.
>
> TIA
> Terry Simpkins

Terry -

It will work, but there are a few things to watch out for.

0) It would be better to get a real tranciever than just a media converter
(IMHO).

1) If this is a DTC-48, you must pull out the lan card on the back and
change a jumper for the DTC to look at AUI vs. the BNC connector.  WAIT,
DON'T PULL TOO HARD, you must FIRST disconnect the ribbon wire on the
front that goes to the little display.

2) In connecting the DTC-48, YOU MUST enable SQE or "heart beat" on the
converter [transceiver], or your HP DTC manager workstation will go crazy
and possiblly prevent other DTC's from downloading.  If you are not using
DTC manager, I guess the same will apply about the SQE, but I don't know
what will happen.

If this is not a DTC-48, I would think similar things must apply, but I
don't have the expierence.

Hope this helps

/alan