HP3000-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 14:06:21 -0700
Tom Emerson wrote:
>Mike [Farrel] asked:
>
>>Okay...I'm convinced that I do need a specific IP address on my HP3000. I
>>know that when my ASE was here back in November he used NMMGR to put in a
>>random IP address. Something like 192.0.0.0 or some such number. I guess
>>what I really need to know is does this number need to be a FCC licensed
>>IP address or can it be just a random number?
>The [brief] answer:
>   IF you are not planning on connecting the HP to "the internet"
>      THEN use any random number, preferrably starting with 192.x.x.x (avoid
>x.x.x.0, x.x.x.1, x.x.x.127, &  x.x.x.255)
>   ELSE
>      contact the NIC (Network Information Center) for a proper
>domain/organization name and number.
>   ENDIF

Well, kinda :-). If you absolutely never ever will connect to the
Internet, ever, then go ahead and use a random number. If you think that
"never" implies too long a planning horizon, then you should use
addresses from the ranges reserved for private networks. These are:

        10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255
        172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255
        192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255

which, as you can see, are a single class A network address, a block of
16 class B network addresses, and a block of 255 class C network
addresses.

The reason to use these addresses is that if you ever DO get connected to
the Internet, packets for these addresses are pretty much guaranteed to
stay within your network. Because the addresses are reserved for private
use, routers in public networks are configured to drop packets that use
them, either as source or destination. That means that you won't have to
re-address your network all at once if you eventually get a NIC-assigned
network address.

Also, while there are sound technical reasons for not using addresses
ending in .0 or .255 (for class C), there is no reason to avoid .1 except
convention (that's where the router typically lives, but it can live
anywhere and nobody will care). I can't think of any reason at all to
avoid 127. (The corresponding "avoid" addresses in class B are x.x.0.0
and x.x.255.255.)

>If you DO intend to connect to "the internet"
>(eventually), then you must contact...
>Internic, or Internet Network Information Center (usually just
>referred to as "NIC") as they are "in charge" of administering class
>licenses and network numbers.  This used to be a "free" service, but lately
>I believe they have begun to charge $50 or $100 per year to maintain the
>license

The current fee is $50/year, but the initial registration is for two
years, hence the $100. The fee, by the way, isn't for the address; it's
for the domain name, or the name by which your network is known on the
Internet (e.g., utc.edu or hp.com). There is no charge for the address,
but these days it's pretty useless to get one from NIC: the major
Internet service providers (ISPs) want to assign their own IP addresses
from blocks that NIC assigned to them; it simplifies overall network
administration.

Also, a nit: it's not a license. Having a domain name or IP address
grants no legal rights whatsoever, and the IP address police won't come
to your door if you use someone else's address or domain name. It's just
that if you don't follow the rules, nobody else will be able to talk to
you :-).

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                   |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay